This is my second report about my gsoc project, well what is new: This week I occupied my self with augeas, it is the first time I try to use and expand an already existing library and utility. Even thought Augeas is very well documented and the people in their community are very helpful, i had some problems combining my thoughts and ideas with the existing code, because i was trying to find out the best way to avoid code duplication etc. That was at least at the start, now at the end of the week I can say that I am more familiar with the Augeas API and this will certainly help me in the coming weeks.
As long as it concerns the actual merging procedure, i began coding an implementation i have thought. Unfortunately, the approach i used was not sufficient generalized to work with all the configuration files. Therefor i had, to erase most of the coding i did these days. However, from every negative thing comes a positive, in this case, I was able to find a better solution that rise some new problems, however i hope I will be able to find out an answer for them in the following days and implement the right code.
Finally, a merge tool command was added in augtool that is able to use the aug_merge command i added in the library, the particular command will accept a source and a dest tree/path and will then try to combine them according to the flags that i will add as enumeration. The final conclusion I must speed up things a bit 🙂 cause there are unexpected problems that may occur at the implementation at any time.